Principles for feminist communications
“We must ensure:
- we produce content in a democratic manner. Women take the lead. The process serves to build positive power
- women’s experiences and stories are visible. Women are telling their own stories. They are agents in their own stories. our communication responds to the context and the issues that sit close to women’s hearts
- respect for diversity across multiple lines e.g. sexuality, location, class, ability, race
- inclusion of the voices of marginalised people e.g. women, lgBTI, sex workers
- ICTs chosen are appropriate to a southern African context
- ICTs are secure and will not put women at risk
- skills are shared and everyone in the organisation is equipped to use the technology safely
- informed and continuous consent of any quotations, videos, interviews and photographs
- your organisation has planned for the human capacity, skills and money to support your communications”
These principles are taken from the book, ICTs’ for Feminist Movement Building – ACTIVIST TOOLKIT, Creative Commons Licensed,so you are free to adapt it for your own contexts.
What a great resource!
ICTs’ for Feminist Movement Building - ACTIVIST TOOLKIT available online at https://www.genderit.org/sites/default/files/icts_toolkit_2015_0_0.pdf CC BY-NC-SA 3.0